Bower Builders Ltd. is always looking for great people to join our team.
We are fortunate to live, work and play in one of the most beautiful regions in the world. World class fly fishing, skiing, snowboarding, mountain biking and hiking is right out the back door. A phenomenal community with many great amenities make Fernie one of the best places to raise a young family.
We offer both experienced and entry level positions with opportunities for growth and development.
In addition to the above industry-average wages. a health spending account and paid sick days, we also offer a Fernie Alpine Resort Winter Ski Pass or equivalent benefits after 1 year of employment.
We seek individuals who align with our core values of Honesty & Integrity, Professionalism, Craftsmanship and Communication.
Drop us a line by email, or give us a call today, to discuss your future.
CURRENTLY SEEKING - RED SEAL CARPENTER - Permanent full-time: Monday to Friday – 40 hours/week – 8hrs/day
Summary of position - At Bower Builders, the Red Seal Carpenter role requires an excellent understanding of carpentry techniques and wood properties with the ability to read and interpret architectural and structural design drawings. This position reports to the Operations Manager and provides expertise in all areas of carpentry (framing, forming and finishing), along with some management of coworkers, and ongoing training. This position ensures the highest safety standards are met at all times.
Renumeration: Based on qualifications. Wage range is $30-40/hr
Ongoing up-skilling and industry relevant training will be provided
Location: Fernie and surrounding areas
Additional Requirements: Valid BC driver’s license and a reliable vehicle
Major Duties and Responsibilities · Read architectural and structural blueprints, drawings and sketches · Take measurements, calculate the size and amount of material needed and cut, shape and smooth lumber and other material · Understand requirements of major trades at rough in and finishing stages (mechanical, electrical, plumbing, millwork, interior finish) · Build window frames, doors, staircases and frame buildings by using raw materials or pre-constructed items · Finishing work such as installing interior and exterior trim · Ability to work with exposed timbers · Layout floor systems/Roof systems · Understanding of envelopes/barriers as they may be tied into framing · Attend meetings with Ops Manager and Clients to stay informed on project progression · Use/store materials properly in order to avoid waste, shortages and eliminate avoidable delays in projects. Immediately address deficiencies to prevent production delays. · Exterior caulking · Install window liners and casings · Assemble furniture, cabinets, shelves etc and install where designated · Build scaffolding and other construction structures (i.e. Setting forms for concrete construction) · Engage in proper tool maintenance and report any damages, misuse or lost/stolen tools · Complete post-construction repairs and maintenance, as required
Experience, Attributes, Requirements
– Committed to Bower Builders' core values of Honesty & Integrity, Professionalism, Craftsmanship and Communication.
– High school diploma with Red Seal carpentry certification or equivalent acceptable to the company (5+ years jobsite experience)
– Proficient understanding of carpentry techniques, methods of installation and ability to read technical documents and drawings
– Experienced in using electrical and manual equipment and measurement tools (powered saws, hammers, rulers etc.).
– Must obtain/maintain Level 1 Occupational First Aid certificate (we will pay for you to obtain / renew this)
– Willingness to adhere to safety guidelines at all times
– Knowledge of local building codes
– Good oral communication skills in English and a good understanding of basic math
– Experienced with residential and commercial projects in the range of $500k - 2 million
– Ability to maintain a professional demeanour at all times, to adapt to ever-changing environment, ability to work productively and harmoniously with co-workers
– Committed to providing superior service to our clients
– Proven success at taking ownership for one’s responsibilities, being punctual and delivering outcomes within the defined timeframe
Physical Demands - Performance of the required duties may require physical ability to climb permanent and temporary stairs, ability to climb ladders and negotiate work areas under construction. Specific vision abilities are required: close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Performing this job requires use of hands and fingers to handle or feel objects, tools or controls and the ability to sit, talk and hear, stand, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Work Environment - While performing the duties of this job, the employee may work at the construction work site where the employee is exposed to moving mechanical parts, high precarious places, fumes or airborne particles, outside weather conditions and risk of electrical shock. The noise in these work environments is usually moderate to very loud. This position requires a high degree of personal contact, with constant multi-tasking and a high degree of stress. Requirement for Personal Protective Equipment Per the Company OH&S policy employee to supply and wear hard hat, rated protective footwear, safety glasses and high vis vest, gloves etc when on construction sites.
Application Process - If you are looking for a fulfilling, long-term career, please forward your resume and cover letter and detail how you meet the qualifications and competencies described above.
Thank you for your interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
** Please note that you must have authorization to work in Canada (you must possess Canadian Citizenship, Permanent Resident Status or a Work Permit